Marietta Guardianship Lawyers

Sometimes a child or incapacitated adult needs someone, other than their parents, to care for them. Becoming a guardian can be a difficult decision. Under a guardianship you are responsible for the well-being of another — financially, physically and emotionally. It is a lot to take on, but the alternative can be devastating.

Helping The Vulnerable

If you are considering guardianship of a minor child or special needs adult, we advise you not to wait to speak with an attorney. At The Mason Law Firm, we provide in-depth legal advice concerning your specific situation. Taking action too soon or too late may have negative effects on everyone involved.

We can help you make the right choice at the right time. Contact our  Canton, Georgia, law office to schedule a consultation.

What is a Guardianship?

Guardianships give a guardian the legal right to make important decisions on behalf of the person they care for. They are designed to provide for the needs of the vulnerable, protecting them from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.

In the case of a child, guardianship includes choices related to medical care and education as well as financial assets. Unlike adoption, guardianships do not terminate the parent-child relationship. Choices are similar concerning special needs adults and the elderly but may also involve deciding on long-term care options.

Attorney Daniel Mason can help you to file the necessary legal documents to establish guardianship in situations involving a variety of circumstances.

Unfit Parents

There are times when a parent is unable to properly care for their child. Whether it is due to chemical addiction, mental health issues or abuse, it is best not to wait for Child Protective Services to take action. As a grandparent or other family relation, you need to focus on the best interests of the child and take appropriate action to ensure their safety now and in the future.

Temporary Guardianship

Temporary guardianship is most often applicable when a parent or caregiver leaves the country for an extended period of time. They may wish to have a legally designated guardian available to handle day-to-day needs of their charge.


Sometimes adults are unable to make appropriate decisions due to age, illness or disability. In this circumstance, a family may wish to establish a conservatorship. A conservatorship allows a designated person to conserve assets and make decisions for the incapacitated person.

No matter what type of guardianship issue you face, your concerns will be heard. Contact us at 770-720-7596 to discuss your needs.